Sunday, 23 August 2009

Time Wasting

Staring at a blue sky through cheap sunglasses
We squint and smile into the bright sun
Half watching cricket as the afternoon eases into evening.
We talk important nonsense, drink wine from plastic tumblers
And lie back, quiet and easy, free from chores and clocks.

My broken dreams take flight on wisps of white cloud
The world goes by and I let it go, I let them all go -
Aspirations abandoned for a picnic blanket.
An unplanned and unrehearsed afternoon with you,
No jostling for opportunities, just sun cream and sandwiches.

You can work so hard at happiness, it darts and dances
Around corners into exclusive parties and plane tickets
But the short walk to the park, the lack of a better idea
An absence of better opportunities can be a solution, its own discovery.
We pour another drink and I rest, right where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment